1.19.2005

In other news...

Tree Hugger (she hugs, I swing), TheLil'estSis, TL'eS's boyfriend and I plan to participate in the candlelight vigil tomorrow night at the Kennedy Memorial. It's My First Protest(tm), and I have to say I'm feeling a bit excited.

That's the wrong word - let's say it's more of a sense of purpose that finally is getting used. All the vehemence I felt before the election whooshed out like a deflated balloon when I saw those states turning red. It's been hard to read about American political news because the nagging little "why bothers?" keep popping up in the back of my head.

This seems, though, like a renewed source of energy. It spoke to me in elegance. I can get behind this. I can remember and mourn the way this country I love used to be. I can remember and mourn the needless deaths associated with a needless war. I'll proudly light my candle to remember, and I'll proudly hold my chin up and state that I protest this inauguration. And I won't be alone.