2.25.2005

Kick Sponge Bob Out of the Navy?

What else can we blame on the gay community?

Sexual orientation does not hamper anyone from performing adequately at a job. Apparently, it does hamper the freedoms and rights every American is due by our constitution. I challenge the current administration to substitute "white" for "gay" in every piece of legislation and policy currently on the table to deny rights to the gay community and not see this trip for what is truly is - discrimination on a legislative, judicial, and executive level in our government against its own citizens.

I would also like to see where they are getting these statistics. Is there an exit survey taken in which homophobic military members list, "I can't handle defending my country alongside another patriot that happens to be gay"? And how many gay military members have joined to replace these members? And wouldn't the turnover across 12 years (since the don't ask, don't tell policy was started) cost just as much in terms of retraining and lost resources even if we didn't allow gays in the military?

Why doesn't the Government Accountability Office do something useful, like say investigate the accountability of the fake intelligence on WMDs, prisoner abuse, or the Iraqi elections? As a taxpayer, I think that is a much better use of government dollars, rather than nickel and dime military training expenditures to pin losses on gay active-duty members. I'm sure it does wonders for the morale of any gay military member, either current or veteran, for that matter.

Plus, the cynic/theorist in me is seeing a chain of events in motion here. 1.) Blame the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Policy for increasing losses in both money and personnel resources. 2.) Ban DADT Policy. 3.) Lose more personnel resources, spend more money to recruit and train.

How does our military structure benefit? Can anyone tell me? Why would you even play with the idea of banning people that actually want to defend the country? Isn't that the whole point of being proud of having a volunteer army/military? Or are we moving away from that, too?

Regrettably, I have no military insight to this topic. I have never and will never volunteer for the armed services. I would be a lousy defender. But I am proud and honored that those which are choose to be a part of it. And splitting hairs over their sexual orientation is just shooting ourselves in the foot. Again.

(Sorry for the rant. I'm steamed. Comments on this topic would be appreciated, as I have to cool down to produce more lucid thoughts.)