2.19.2005

Aunt Betty Nose

One of my favorite people in the world is my Aunt Betty. She's not my aunt per se, but one of those older relatives that you call "aunt" because it's easier. Gram's sister.

Our family always congregated in the basement for holidays in Illinois, with tables groaning under the weight of homemade ravioli and meatballs, salad and garlic bread. And too many relatives to name, most of whom I was way too young to remember. But Aunt Betty always stood out.

She had an infectious laugh. She was an excellent cook. She could carry a heaping pot of marinara sauce down steep concrete steps without missing a beat. Her hugs would knock the wind out of you. But my favorite, FAVORITE, thing about Aunt Betty was the way she crinkled her nose.

I guess for a 3/4 yr. old, nose crinkling is the coolest thing ever. It looks funny, feels funny, and makes you laugh. Aunt Betty was the queen - nobody could crinkle like her. It was...magic. It was calming in some way. And imagine my delight when I tried it one day and relative said I did it just like her. Hence, my Aunt Betty nose was born.

Over the years, as we saw less and less of each other, it was one of the things that kept us connected. The last time I saw her, about 8 years ago, we crinkled together and laughed about it over homemade cookies in the kitchen. I will never change a thing about my nose. It has something no other nose has...a kindred spirit with another.

I love you so much, Betty. We'll miss you.