4.08.2005

Nuts to That

Through trial and error over the past week, I've discovered I'm allergic to peanuts all of a sudden.

Last Friday morning, I was gently nudged out of dreamworld by an ever-so-annoying itch on my wrist. Imagine my surprise to find out that itch was a red, sunburnish type rash all over my arms, legs and feet. It looked my appendages had been dipped in runny red paint. And yes, it was as attractive as it sounds.

So, I hightailed it over to the doc to see what the hell was going on. I'm not allergic to anything except the usual sniffles in the spring. But, lo and behold, she said I was having an allergic reaction to something and poked me in the buttflesh with a steroid shot. We went over the usual history - what was eaten the day before (my favorite peanut bar, some tortilla soup and a taco), where I'd been (softball, losing miserably), if I'd frolicked in poison ivy, etc. - and nothing stood out.

After getting the steroid prescription filled, I went home to change into a turtleneck (yes, it was *that* bad) and made it to the office. Saturday morning was worse for some reason, but it calmed down for the next few days. Until...

...Tuesday morning-ish, after the nut bar goodness, when I started getting twitchy again. Didn't have one on Monday. Around this time, I started to suspect peanuts were the culprit.

To test the theory, I bought my favorite snack food, honey roasted peanuts, and tossed a few down last night. And sure enough, I woke up looking like I spent 48 million hours in the sun today. Sigh...down the hatch with more steroids. Hopefully it will go away by this afternoon.

Thank goodness the cause has been (semi) pinpointed. If I threw any more steroids down my throat, I'd start looking like Chyna. I will miss those delightful little nutty companions, though. And if peanut butter has the same effect, I'm going to be really pissed.