1.31.2005

Thermostat Woes

We office in a rather old building downtown. It's been a car dealership, a radio station and who-knows-what-else since the early 1900's. Our department is designed as a ring of offices around a central cube area. My space (you can't call it a cube since it's triple the size of a normal cube and is stuffed full of shelves and boxes) is on the outside of the cubes, right by three of the offices.

One of the offices is an unoccupied archive room that happens to be freezing cold, and its door opens right next to my area. Can't shut off the vent, because it has no vent - just a large (read: 1-foot diameter) air shaft tube that juts inside, plus windows that love to let cold air seep in. The second is my jefe's office. She's smart...she shut off her vent completely, so her office is cool, yet tolerable. (Bless the intelligent ones.)

The last is an office that must have been built in hell. No matter how cold it is outside, or how low the thermostat is set, it gets swelteringly hot overnight. It's as if little demons are using it as a nocturnal home base for their marshmallow roasts and furnace testings.

Hence, when occupier of said office gets in, he turns on the air conditioner to cool down his office. It was 36 degrees outside this morning when I got in and felt the A/C kicking at a balmy 55. My nipples probably won't ever be able to relax again due to perma-frost. When I went to visit his office, I was swaddled in my scarf, clutching a cup of hot cocoa and chattering my teeth through azure lips.

We made a pact: he turns off the A/C and I won't turn on the heat. Which will work. Now that I have permanently hard nipples, the constant wearing of the scarf will be both warm and a method of disguise. I feel rather like a sexy Bob Cratchit with a fabulous sense of style.