2.01.2005

Dream Weaver

Last night was a dream antics night. As in, I woke myself up repeatedly by either talking or walking around the room. (The second time I was hanging clothes in the closet. Talk about the urge to clean...) These always seem to happen when there are a lot of things on my mind or when overtired, though it's been a few months since the last episode...that I'm aware of.

Acting out your dreams can be hysterical to anyone watching. The night after returning from a trip to see My Gorgeous Roman Sister, I apparently led the ex-Dipshit on a 45 minute "tour" of Rome, spouting off factoids about the sites and local tidbits on which bars are best. Another time, I remember MGRS saying she slept on the couch because I had scared her to death with the string of swear words and inhumanly fast snapping of fingers directed towards her. (Yeah, we used to share a room. Put that in your spank bank, boys.)

The one from a few months ago scared the pants right off me, though. Woke up in the driver's seat of my car at 3ish in the morning clutching my keys and stuffed dog.* Rather frightening, that, seeing how I had the presence of mind to put on shoes, unlock the door, relock it, walk down a flight of stairs and get into the car while completely zonked out. This led me to locking all doors and placing strategic "trip piles" on the path to the front door. A few bruised elbows ensued, but at least I never got to the point of sleep driving.

All that being said, DA nights lead to very surreal days. They say you should never wake up a sleep talker/walker because it's confusing. Well, waking yourself while doing something other than being in bed cuddled with your stuffed dog leads to a super confusing day. It's akin to having a dream so realistic that you can touch, taste, feel, smell, etc., but it's your waking life instead. And being the extrasensory dreamer I am (wherein every dream uses all senses...it's absolutely fantastic), it puts a bit of a Dali spin on the daytime world.

This go 'round is small potatoes to others, so I'm not too worried about it. Just have to take some extra precautions like locking doors, and start listening to the wonderful bedtime chakra CD that My Favorite Dippy gave to me.

It's the ultimate in multi-tasking. Maybe I can condition myself to do sit-ups and crunches instead...that would be a bonus. ;)

*Yes. I sleep with a stuffed animal. A large one. It's an ingrained habit. Laugh all you want.