3.22.2005

Mental Radio is Clicked Permanently to "On"

SXSW rocked my world. There was music, work, sunburns on the patio, fanboys and skinny men in makeup, heavy lifting, much imbibing, inappropriateness, dirty fingernails (not mine), rickshaw rides with chicks and sausage, and oh so much more.

Music was the hero of the weekend, though. (As if one could doubt it.) Due to some bad tacos on Thursday night, I saw part of A Hawk and a Hacksaw but ended up leaving DeVotchKa early (dammit) in order to yak in peace at the hotel. But, Friday was nice...caught Alejandro Escovedo and Ian Hunter whilst working, and then made my way over to Stubb's for Kasabian. The true gem of the night, though, was The Bravery. Excellent, excellent, excellent stuff. High energy. Great dynamic. Show was too short. Must buy CD and listen until my ears bleed.

We had our party Saturday afternoon, and the lineup was stellar. Checkout Be Your Own Pets, The Ditty Bops, Aqualung and The Raveonettes if you haven't already. Saturday night involved mass quantities of food, hiding from a freakhouse, being entertained by another freakhouse, and catching part of the Burden Brothers at a rooftop record party. (I dunno...every time I see them I'm a little disappointed. I keep waiting for that one song to suck me in and make me love them like the Toadies, but, alas, it hasn't happened yet. Maybe someday. Cross your fingers, because they're good guys regardless.) We ended the night with the Brazilian Girls, who sounded pretty good and had the best stage outfits of the weekend.

So, I'm toying with the idea of making Crack Monkey's SXSW Mix, which will have samples of the shows I saw plus a mixture of the road trip music that's burned into my brain after a total of 10 hours on the road. It's gonna (potentially) rawk. I'll post the track list within a few days and if'n you'd like a copy, let me know.

But I need to play catch up from being out of town first. Back to reality now. Sigh.