7.18.2005

Of Pool Parties, Weddings and BBQs

Deathgrip on the doorknob notwithstanding, the weekend pulled me out the door by the hair and flung me around a bit a dog's chew toy before I was allowed to relax a touch and take a breather.

It's written in the Event Planner's Commandments that ye shall not have an event without something going wrong thrice, anywhere from 24 to 2 hours before said event. But, c'est la vie, it was good for what it was, and no one can say I didn't do my job. People had fun, and there was plenty for all.

Follow an outdoor event in the Texas heat with a quick shower and a dash to a country club for a wedding reception for a nice dose of going from 100mph to 5mph. It was very nice, though it took a while (and a gin and tonic) to calm down from the beginning of the day. Great music and dancing, some interesting memories from people I haven't seen in ten years, etc., etc. The usual wedding stuff. Plus, my fella was tre' sexy. Rawr. (And no, wise arses, that wasn't due to the typical female hormonal response to weddings.* He'd be teh hawt in a burlap sack.)

Sunday brought that ulcer-inducing fun known as "introducing your S.O. to your family". I wasn't worried about him making a good impression at all, but more of the "dear God, please let my family behave themselves. PLEASE." persuasion. Through a fluke, not only did he get to meet (deep breath) the pops, the sister, the stepmom, the grams, the Neo-Con uncle, the twin brothers, the step grandparents, the stepsister, and the stepsister's arm candy, but also the moms. I owe him a large bottle of alcohol for taking that all in stride. Either that, or some hours-long nookie.

Afterwards, we headed to the 'burbs for more grilling, feasting and friends fun. It's completely amazing how you can throw a bunch of adults into a pool and watch the years melt away. I haven't been that entertained by watching pool volleyball in a long time...if ever.

So, that's that. Yes, I'm alive, and yes, I plan to take some days off soonish to recharge the crack monkey batteries. And as a throwback to the Mad Libs post below, I've ___(verb)____ that ____(noun)_____ that's been _____(verb)_____ me, so I guess we'll ____(verb)_____ if the _____(plural noun)______ have been ____(verb)_____ or not. (I promise to fill in the blanks - for both - after it's all said and done.)

*Why do most women fawn and moan and get all riled up for marriage after going to a wedding? I don't get it, but I guess we'll just add that to the list of things that make me an atypical woman. (First and second being no makeup and a strong hatred of day long shopping excursions, respectively.)